Friday, December 11, 2009

You Are A Priest Forever

12 years ago today, I and 14 others were ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Miguel Cinches, SVD, then bishop of Surigao City. Our class name is Santibok (One beat, One heart). Most of the members of the class were then young professionals.
It's a good time to thank God for the gift of priesthood. And what a better way of thanking God than to celebrate the Holy Eucharist, the center of my life.
I am also grateful for the many people who were instrumental of my becoming a priest and a missionary. Fr. Albert Rabe, the then spiritual director of the Youth of Ilocos Sur Encounter Christ movement, who had always believed that I have the vocation to the priesthood and encouraged me to nourish that vocation. To Rev. Arthur Yabes, who introduced me to the Society of the Divine Word. Actually we accidentally met in a bus for the first time and never thought then that he is a priest. The late Rev, Fr. Bernard Le Frois who patiently directed me spiritually during my early formation years. To My parents, brother, sisters, relatives and friends who encouraged and prayed for my perseverance. To the many benefactors, known and unknown who have given their financial assistance generously, especially the late kuya Joe Dimalanta, Mila Dimalanta, Violet Dimalanta, Mrs. Laurie Bandiola, Ma'am Trining Rosal my former teacher at the University of the Philippines, Mrs. Josefina King of Escolta, Manila, Mr. Renato Agapito who never get tired of helping even up to now, Ramil who has always been there to support me and all the men and women that I met in my journey as a missionary and a priest. To manang Inday Medina who who is very supportive materially and spiritually, and to the parishioners of St. George Catholic Church who showed their love for me through and through. To all of those in one way or the other had helped me become who I am now. My sincerest thanks.
There is but one wish I want to make, that with the grace of God and the support and prayers of people who love me so dearly, that I may be faithful to my vows I made twelve years ago: the vow of poverty, chastity and obedience.
Fathe Gustavo Vidal, my pastor is so gracious in allowing me to have a special celebration of the Holy Eucharist with some parishioners. May the Blessed Mother Virgin Mary intercede for me that I may be able to carry out my duties and responsibilities in the parish effectively and efficiently.
After the noon Mass, I was treated like a King for a Day by Lorraine Boyce who preapared a sumptuous lunch with selected members of the parish. To Lorraine who opened her house to me and some friends, maraming salamat. For those who joined in the celebration, Eucharistic and the luncheon, my sincerest thanks...